BBA in Economics Through Southwestern Community College
The BBA in economics is one of six undergraduate majors in the Tippie College of Business (the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers a BA in Economics). The BBA in economics serves as a foundation for other business areas such as accounting, finance, marketing, business law, and management. In comparison, the BA balances economic theory, mathematical tools, and field applications, and graduates pursue advanced degrees or employment in government and industry.
Business Majors at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Southwestern Community College checkpoints
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- Complete four semesters of the same world language (fourth-level proficiency) or two semesters of two different world languages (second-level proficiency) as needed for Iowa’s General Education Program. The requirement may be fulfilled by the appropriate high school work.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) and no grade lower than a C:
- MAT 210 Calculus I (may require a prerequisite course as suggested by math placement)
- MAT 156 Statistics
- ECN 130 Principles of Microeconomics
- ACC 131 Principles of Accounting I
- Complete the following core courses required to declare a major in the Tippie College of Business:
- BCA 215 Computer Business Applications
- ECN 120 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ACC 132 Principles of Accounting II
- Present at least a 2.75 cumulative transfer GPA in all college courses taken.
- Apply to the University of Iowa indicating business as your major by the appropriate deadline.
- The Tippie College of Business has a Selective Admission Process.
The following required courses can be taken at Southwestern Community College OR the University of Iowa:
- BUS 185 Business Law I; MGT:2000 Introduction to Law at Iowa
- MGT 101 Principles of Management; MGT:2100 Introduction to Management at Iowa
University of Iowa application procedures
Students interested in admission to the Tippie College of Business must complete the online application for admission to the university, which includes transfer course information, and review of the Tippie Honor Code. Applications are accepted for the fall and spring semesters only. Application deadlines are May 1 for fall applicants and December 1 for spring applicants.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the College of Business Web Site.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. Students must earn a minimum of 120 semester hours, with the following requirements:
- At least 48 semester hours must be taken in business courses and at least 60 semester hours in non-business courses.
- At least 30 semester hours must be taken at Iowa following admission to the Tippie College of Business.
- A GPA of at least 2.00 must be earned on all college course work, all course work attempted at the University of Iowa, all business course work attempted, all business course work at the University of Iowa, all course work attempted in the major, and all course work attempted in the major at the University of Iowa.
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).