Ethics & Public Policy Major Through
Des Moines Area Community College
The ethics and public policy major at Iowa is highly personalized, with small classes and very accessible faculty members, several of whom have recently published books and won teaching awards. A major in ethics and public policy develops abilities useful for graduate or professional work in many fields and for any situation requiring clear, systematic thinking. Many students choose this major to prepare for law school.
Studying Ethics & Public Policy at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Des Moines Area Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete one of the following courses:
- PHI 105 Introduction to Ethics
- PHI 110 Introduction to Logic
- Complete these courses:
- POL 111 American National Government
- SOC 110 Introduction to Sociology
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 36 semester hours is required for the ethics and public policy major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).