English and Creative Writing Major Through Des Moines Area Community College
Because of its outstanding reputation, more than 800 students major in English and Creative Writing at Iowa; it is one of the most popular majors for first-year students. Yet most classes are small enough to encourage spirited discussion and offer abundant writing opportunities. About one-fourth of graduates plan to teach, while another one-quarter plan to be writers of some kind. The rest use English as a background for the study of law, business, theology, or other professions.
Studying English at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Des Moines Area Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete ENG 221 Creative Writing.
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete ENGL:2010 Foundation of the English Major: Histories, Literatures, Pleasures during your first year of enrollment at Iowa.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least 30 semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 42 semester hours is required for the English major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).